As the next episode in our Real Love Revolution series, I am talking bout Toxic Shame. What is the difference between healthy guilt and toxic shame? In my therapy practice I find that there can be confusion between these two things, and they can feel similar even though they’re completely different.
In this episode I’m sharing some questions so you can gain clarity on how much toxic shame may be driving your life right now. It’s a heavy one, but I really want to add value for you, so I hope you find this episode, the questions I encourage you to ask and the tips on how to heal helpful.
You can Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher or TuneIn
“When you have an inner mean voice that is always putting you down and making you feel less than, that is shame pretending to be your conscience.” – Terri Cole
- What is healthy guilt
- What is toxic shame
- Why we shouldn’t vilify appropriate shame
- You have to examine your self-destructive behavior
- Is your inner critic ever quiet?
- Do you hide what is truly going on in your life?
- Do you lie?
- Do you have a profound fear of rejection?
- Are you chronically lonely?
- Did you experience trauma in your childhood or adult life?
- What are ways you can heal from toxic shame?
- Start a mindfulness practice
- Why you have to police your thoughts
- Flip that inner script
- You can’t expect to fix this overnight
“Putting yourself down and making yourself feel terrible doesn’t do anything except perpetuate the shame and make it grow.” – Terri Cole
“You have to police your thoughts so you can find what is you and what is someone else.” – Terri Cole