CLICK HERE to check out Marie Forleo’s FREE Online Business Training Series
I want to talk a little bit about my background, which you may or may not know. I had kind of a fancy career as a talent agent where I was basically negotiating contracts for supermodels. And during that time in my life I kept thinking to myself, “If I made a little more money or I became the boss in a situation, that I would be happy.”
And eventually I was making that money and I was the boss, but wouldn’t you know I still wasn’t happy, because what I was seeking wasn’t in the experiences I was having. What I was seeking wasn’t success or acquisition, it was meaning. I wanted to add value to the lives of others. Now, I still wanted freedom, including financial freedom and the ability that would give me to travel and have experiences and do the other things I love, but in a more meaningful way.
So I changed my life. There was a lot that influenced that change, including getting diagnosed with cancer and having some really bad experiences, but they got me to take the leap. It was time to jump. I went back to school and became a psychotherapist, and eventually grew that into the business I have now. One of the things that made a massive difference in the growth of my career was my girlfriend Marie Forleo’s B School, a business school for online entrepreneurs. I decided to do B School mostly so I could confront the overwhelming prospect of marketing myself as a therapist or an executive coach. I always thought marketing and advertising had to be gross! I thought the only way to do it was through tricking people and shadow hustle.
But the first thing that changed my perspective and my life was a free video that Marie had. The great thing is that once you’re in B School, you’re in it for life, and you’re surrounded by a great community of like-minded entrepreneurs, plus you’re being coached by this fantastic woman. Marie is an entrepreneur and success coach who helps people lead extraordinary lives by living in the moment. I think you’re going to love our conversation about confronting your fear and building your perfect business.
You can Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher or TuneIn
“I’ve learned that fear is like a GPS for where my soul wants me to go: it is instructive, it is directive, it is guiding me to exactly what I need to do.” – Marie Forleo
- What happened when she got a job at Vogue
- How to manage your fear
- The direction fear gives you
- The relationship between excitement and fear
- How to get intimate with what fear wants to teach you
- Why her business is about making change
- The gaps she found in the coaching marketplace
- The change needed in the business space
- Her commitment to empowering makers, creators, and entrepreneurs
- What is modern marketing
- Identifying your perfect client
- The value of saying no
- Why it’s important to have a community to support you
- The work ethic and spirit of fun she got from her family
- Why you can’t give yourself too many limits
- How exercise can clear the stress
- The inspiration behind creating her videos
- The strength of the B School community
- Learn more about B School and get your hands on Marie’s free videos!
- Read The War of Art by Steven Pressfield
- Connect with Marie Forleo: