“There’s always a way that you can express a boundary request respectfully, politely, and with kindness. The sheer nature of creating boundaries in your life is not aggressive: It’s actually just truth telling.” – Terri Cole
Have you ever found yourself stuck in conversation hell at a family gathering?
Maybe you have a nosy aunt who loves asking you super personal questions you don’t want to answer. Or a cousin who manages to dump all their problems on you at every party.
Enough! Let’s get you some strategies and scripts to create better conversational boundaries! You can keep these in your back pocket for if and when these awkward situations arise, so you can enjoy your family gatherings and avoid conversation hell!
- 03:20 Setting boundaries with people from your family of origin can be harder than setting boundaries with others because your boundary dance is the most established
- 05:00 Boundary requests are not inherently aggressive.
- Strategies to set boundaries at family gatherings
- 07:00 Simply opt-out
- 09:15 Redirect to talk about something you are comfortable with
- 10:55 Reflect the question on the asker
- 13:35 Use your body language to support your boundaries
- 15:50 Explicitly express when something is unacceptable to you
- 17:34 Use a boundary script to stop interruptions
Find the downloadable guide I made to go along with today’s episode here.
This episode is sponsored by Zocdoc. Go to Zocdoc.com/TERRI and download the Zocdoc app for FREE. Then start your search for a top-rated doctor today. Many are available within 24 hours.
Take the boundary quiz and learn more about your Boundary Style
Here are some ways I can support you:
I WROTE A BOOK ABOUT BOUNDARIES! Boundary Boss is THE essential guidebook for authentically expressing your desires, setting healthy limits, and bringing more satisfaction, joy, and peace into all of your personal and professional relationships. Purchase your copy now!
TAKE THE BOUNDARY STYLE QUIZ I always say, ya can’t change anything until you become aware of it, so take the quiz and discover your unique boundary style!
FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL Instagram is my jam and one of my favorite ways to connect with you. I put out new content there every, single day.
JOIN OUR FREE FACEBOOK GROUP Become a part of our powerful community of real love revolutionaries!
SIGN UP FOR THE NEWSLETTER Want love notes from me delivered straight to your inbox? I share things to inspire and empower you each week, plus what I’m reading, watching, cooking…you get the idea ?